Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Weigh In

I was supposed to have better news to report for this week's weigh in. Last week I was so close to the 20 pound mark. I made changes to lose weight more intentionally by setting short term goals the night before, drinking more water, cutting out fast food and exercising. I admit I did better with all of these earlier in the week. But I didn't expect to GAIN weight this week with all the positive changes I made. However, with nursing my daughter less now that she's sleeping through the night, I recently got my period back after a 2 + year hiatus. And that really does make a difference with our bodies, if we only take into account water weight gain alone. I have learned to be kind to myself the week leading up to my period with all the roller-coaster emotional and physical changes going on in my heart and mind and body. This week's weight gain most likely has to do with my period. But it's still disappointing.

What will I do with disappointment and set backs? Will I go through the McDonalds drive thru and order TWO Egg McMuffins after dropping my son off at school? (Which I may or may not have done this morning). Or will I be kind to myself?  That can look different for each one of us. For me, it might mean, not sabotaging by eating the foods that will not help me reach my goals. It might mean, taking a walk in the snow for my exercise. It might mean eating when I'm hungry and stopping when I begin to feel full. It might mean, letting it go when I don't make my goals and beginning again, each day.

What about you? How are you kind to yourself? What do you do surrounding your "time of the month" that is helpful in staying on track?

2 comments:

  1. This is an awesome question. I found you from another blog about Medifast, so I can tell you that program has changed my life! not only with my health, but my job as well, since I was asked to become a coach with them. But the thing I've found that's incredibly helpful is to focus on my health, and how I feel physically. Once I was on the medifast program and getting my blood sugars, brain fog, and weight under better control, I knew what good felt like, for the first time in a long time!! Now that I'm at my goal, part of how I stay there is to keep thinking about how good it feels to eat well, how much more energy and vitality I have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you found me! Thanks so much for your encouragement!

      Delete